Peach Cake - now ain't that peachy?

The other day I purchased peaches. Why is this even worth mentioning? In our busy days we don't take the time to sit down and eat "high maintenance" fruit. 




Wash & eat is what you can expect. Apples, strawberries, cherries, you get the picture. But I do like peaches. So I made resolutions to eat them before they decay. Don't ask how many times I had to throw out not-so-fresh-anymore produce.

After consulting what felt like a gazillion recipes - peach cobbler, peach pie, peach cheesecake, you name it - I felt bold enough to make my own peach cake! It's basically my simple, go-to apple cake recipe, just, duh, peaches instead of apples!




Ingredients:

0.75  cup butter (170g)
1       cup white sugar (200g)
3       eggs
1       lemon, zest & juice
1       pinch of ground vanilla
0.5   cup milk (118ml)
1.6   cup all purpose flour (210g)
2      tsp baking powder (10g)
0.25 tsp salt (2g)

4      fresh peaches, pitted, skinned and diced

0.25 cup packed brown sugar (55g)
0.5   tsp ground cinnamon (1g)
0.25 tsp vanilla sugar (0.5g)
1       tiny pinch of ground cloves (optional)




Directions:


  • Grease or line your baking pan. The one I used is 7 x 8 inches, so if yours is much larger, you may end up arranging only one layer of batter and peaches
  • Grate and squeeze the lemon
  • Prepare the peaches. I know they are messy and almost fall apart. It's worth the pain, though!
  • Pre-heat your oven at 355°F (180°C)
  • In a bowl, cream the butter with the sugar and vanilla, beat in the eggs, one at a time, then add lemon zest, juice and milk
  • Beat the sifted flour, the baking powder and the salt into the creamed mixture.
  • Spread one half of the batter into the pan, put one half of the peach pieces in, then carefully pour the second half of the batter in, put the remaining peaches on top. 
  • Sprinkle generously with the sugar/cinnamon mixture
  • Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
  • Let cool, carefully take out of the pan, cut and enjoy!

I found this vanilla grinder. It works just like a pepper mill.

Place the peaches

First layer - now go again!
This post has been chosen to feature Southern Special, edition 15, over at Spatula's on parade. What an honor! I felt so flattered I posted another recipe: Avocado Muffins.





Comments