Use your words - have your socks knocked off!

Today’s post is a writing challenge. This is how it works: participating bloggers picked 4 – 6 words or short phrases for someone else to craft into a post. All words must be used at least once, and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words. That’s the challenge, here’s a fun twist; no one who’s participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them. Until now.

My words are: 

plate ~ pixel ~ pumpkin ~ summer ~ knock your socks off ~  danged if I know

They were submitted by Spatulas on Parade - thank you, Dawn!

Last month the words I got made me think of summer, more specifically of July 4. Of course now that I hear pumpkin, my mind fast forwards to Thanksgiving and Halloween! 



Yay, a chance to google for crafts and recipes for one of our favorite holidays! Never mind that I'm not a huge fan of actually eating pumpkin, apart from a plate of home made pumpkin ghost soup, and don't even mention that there's no canned pumpkin puree or allspice to be purchased in my quaint country. 



Of course the internet is full of "how to make your own allspice":
  • Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, equal parts, prep time 2 minutes
  • Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, black pepper, equal parts, prep time 1 minute (how is that even possible, one more ingredient, half of the prep time?)
  • Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, 2:1:1, prep time 5 minutes (makes sense, half of the prep time is needed for doing math!)
  • Cinnamon, ginger, clove, 2:1:1
  • Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger
  • Dry berries of pimento plant (Jamaican plant), grind (no indication on how long THIS is gonna take, and where to find the plants) 
So here's what I want to know: If allspice contains all of these spices, why are there recipes like for this knock your socks off pumpkin pie that call for 


Danged if I know!

Moving on. I know I complain a lot about how conservative life around here is, and how you can't buy essential cooking and baking ingredients.

However, we do have one cool place to go to as soon as summer is over, and it's only about an hours' drive away from where I live: Jucker's Farm. Actually you can go there all year round, I just like the pumpkin activities best:

One pumpkin per pixel


Now I want to show you something you may never have heard of - and I'm pretty sure it will knock your socks off: 

The annual pumpkin regatta! 

Creative and brave people hollow huge pumpkins (1,100 pounds and more), convert them into "boats", decorate and then transfer them to the nearby lake in order to race each other! 



I zoomed in as much as my camera would allow. If I enlarged the picture even more, all you could see would be an accumulation of pixels. 


It's actually not that bad
I went ahead and found this video for you. Blogger wouldn't let me link the Youtube URL so I had to use this tool. (This info is for my own future reference, but might be useful for you, too)


This looks less pixled than I expected.

Sometimes a pumpkin boat is untight and accumulates water to the point that the rower goes overboard. Around here, when summer is over, water temperatures drop quickly. Should have lined that pumpkin with bubble wrap or something!

Not a big deal, though. At the farm you can dry off, put on warm clothes and head to the restaurant for some hot pumpkin soup, garnished with freshly roasted pumpkin seeds (smells heavenly and attracts wasps, so careful). Of course there's baskets of pumpkin bread and plates of pumpkin pie, and if I'm not mistaken, they bake pumpkin cookies, too. 

If you're not tired, pay the farm shop a visit. Browse over 60 different kind of pumpkins and other farm grown produce like apples, pears, berries and cherries.



You have officially been pumpkinned - thanks for reading! You'll get your pumppin  (=pumpkin pin) if you can tell the bouncer at the exit the exact number of times you read "pumpkin" in this post! Danged if I know! 


Booooo! Here's one to go: pumpkin!

Please go check out what words the other bloggers got and what they did with them:



Baking In A Tornado 
Spatulas on Parade 
Stacy Sews and Schools 
The Bergham Chronicles
Juicebox Confession       
Confessions of a part time working mom 
Someone else's Genius   
Battered Hope
Healing Tomato
Evil Joy Speaks 
The Sadder but Wiser Girl
          
                   

Comments